NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS - ‘Walker Surprises’ by Keith Altham:
“WE WERE WELL and truly blitzed with “mini-happenings” on the Walker Brothers’ tour opening night, at Finsbury Park Astoria last Friday, when Jimi Hendrix literally set the scene alight after his guitar exploded in a sheet of flames at the end of his act….
“The Jimi Hendrix Experience are a musical labyrinth-you either find way into the solid wall of incredible sound, or you sit back and gasp at Hendrix’ guitar antics and showman-ship, wondering what it’s all about.
The sounds are something new-you either dig it or you do not. “Foxey [sic] Lady,” “Can You See Me” and Jimi’s two hits, “Hey Joe” and “Purple Haze,” were the entire Hendrix programme.
Finale to Hendrix’ act came about when his guitar burst into flames, by “accident” we are assured, and precipitated the entrance of a security officer who sprayed detergent from a canister all over compere Nick Jones.”
MELODY MAKER - ‘Hendrix: ‘clean act’ by Chis Welch
“Guitar star Jimi Hendrix who jumped into the MM Pop 30 this week at 15 with “Purple Haze” was warned to “clean up” his act on his tour with the Walker Brothers this week.
The tour opened at Finsbury Park Astoria, London, last Friday and his manager Chas Chandler told the MM on Monday: “After Jimi’s performances on Saturday and Sunday night I was told he had got to change his act. The tour organisers said he was too suggestive. I think this is a joke myself and there’s not a chance of his changing his set.”
Said Jimi: “All I want to do is play my guitar and sing. I’m bemused, I play the way I play and I can’t understand the situation at all.”
At the opening night Jimi sustained a burned hand when his guitar accidentally burst into flames at the climax of his act.
Writes MM’s Chris Welch who was reviewing the show: “Hendrix was lying on stage playing the guitar with his teeth when it suddenly burst into flames.
“Jimi leapt backwards and ran off stage followed by his group. The guitar was left burning dangerously near the closed curtains, and compere Nick Jones ran and tried to pick it up, burning his hand in the attempt. An attendant rushed on stage with a fire extinguisher and put out the flames which were leaping ten feet in the air”