Jimi Hendrix
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Jimi Hendrix

Le forum francophone

AccueilDernières imagesRechercherS'enregistrerConnexion
Le Deal du moment : -20%
Ecran PC GIGABYTE 28″ LED M28U 4K ( IPS, 1 ms, ...
Voir le deal
399 €

Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968

4 participants
AuteurMessage
Mousme

Mousme

Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968  Empty
MessageSujet: Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968    Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968  Icon_minitimeMar 13 Juil 2010 - 22:46

Titres :

1. Hey Joe
2. Burning Of The Midnight Lamp
3. Purple Haze
4. The Wind Cries Mary
5. Wild Thing

Un concert qui avait pour cadre le club de Mike Jeffery.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Purple Jim

Purple Jim

MessageSujet: Re: Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968    Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968  Icon_minitimeSam 22 Jan 2011 - 17:06

ULTIMA HORA - by Miguel Soler:
“The performance last night by the Jimi Hendrix Experience... was witnessed with expectation, interest, and curiosity. Some liked it a lot, some not at all, and some were indifferent. My personal opinion is that individually this group is of high quality... Nevertheless..., I must say that in no way is it attractive.. .when they launch into a headlining dash into making noise... Very often he comes over as sincere and can communicate with the spectators. At other times he seems to us too sophisticated. There is quality and there is ‘bluff.’ This is not a criticism. Hendrix has often said that he laughs at what he is doing, but if some of the public like it....
Experience is certainly a good name for the trio. They have to be very expert in order to do all that. Even if ‘that’ very often has nothing to do with music. In spite of this, friends, let us agree that when they want to, Jimi Hendrix and his companions can demonstrate that they are extraordinary musicians. ‘Seeing’ the Jimi Hendrix Experience is an experience we would not have wanted to miss. Next time we hope to ‘hear’ a bit more music.”

DIARODEMALLORCA - by José Barceló and Xim Rada: “ …made one hell of a din the other night in the magnificent ‘Sgt. Peppers.’ There we were, martyrising our poor delicate eardrums, in order to inform our readers of the Spanish debut of this new and fabulous ‘musical’ idol. Frankly, with all due respect for Jimi and his followers, we must say that what we saw and heard left us stupefied and really dazed. Jimi’s performance was followed with interest, but it never excited us... The public who filled the ‘Sgt. Pepper’s’ club... were mainly foreigners.
Jimi started his performance… by displaying his magical mastery of the electric guitar; but as the performance progressed, so electronics began to dominate the atmosphere and made the walls of the ‘Sgt. Peppers’ shake. It was frightful. Certainly fearful. Right in the firing line we spotted [members of the group] Los Bravos, but we couldn’t hear their comments. But it didn’t matter....
We had asked for an interview with Jimi, which his manager had agreed to. But when the moment came, they asked for a few minutes respite ‘in order to rest.’ When the time was up, we asked again. Jimi made his excuse (‘I’m feeling a bit sick’), not surprising considering he was standing the nearest to his ‘noise.’ We couldn’t speak to Jimi but we were informed that for his performance in the ‘Sgt. Peppers’ he was not paid a penny...”
http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.htm
Purple Jim

Purple Jim

MessageSujet: Re: Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968    Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968  Icon_minitimeSam 22 Jan 2011 - 17:11

NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS - ‘Jimi Hendrix: Jimi Brings Manager's New Club Roof Down!’ report by Keith Altham:

“I arrived in Palma on Sunday [14 July]with Noel (Jimi and Mitch did their famous plane missing trick)... That evening we ate in a Terino restaurant which was formerly a boutique owned by Chas. There Noel treated us to an impersonation of the yet-to-arrive Mitch. Bouncing up the restaurant stairs and creating the maximum amount of noise he darted about on his toes, breezing: ‘Oh, sorry I’m late. What’s going on? Can I have some of that? I forgot my money. Can you pay for it?’ Collapse of some few who know the ways of Mitch!”
“Monday saw the arrival of the other members of the group and walking down the street in glorious multi-colour they made an entrance into the Plaza Gomilla akin to the impact of the bad-men riding into town in a Western epic. You could hear the hubbub of comment around the packed square before you saw the big three. Noel came over to our table to say hello to footballer George Best, with whom he became quite friendly, and Jimi stopped by to exchange insults with me, our way of passing the time! His favourite dart in this holiday was to refer to me as ‘the little ol’ electric lobster,’ due to my over-enthusiastic crash course on a sun tan”
[15 July] “Chas is having kittens about the volume of sound coming from the club from Jimi’s rehearsal and keeps on talking about ‘impending doom.’ He need not have worried. The Guardia Civil were very civil about the whole thing....
Jimi Hendrix literally brought the roof down on the opening night.. .by the simple expedient of ramming the neck of his guitar up through the low ceiling tiles [at the end of ‘Wild Thing’]. Amid thunderous applause, the Experience exited in a shower of plaster and debris after a series of brilliantly electronic histrionics! Even manager Chas Chandler, somewhat ruefully surveying the ventilated ceiling in his brand new club, observed: ‘No matter how many times I see them - they always knock me out!’
The group were introduced by Flowerpotman Neil Landon (travelling with our party in the company of Noel Redding, with whom he is involved in a song writing partnership). He requested that all those on the dance floor sit down, reiterating with Hitlerain emphasis: ‘You will sit down or you will be shot!’ Immediately there was much sitting down, specially among the German contingent, before Neil announced:
‘For what you are about to receive may the Lord make you truly thankful!’

Enter Mitch
On stage walked drummer Mitch Mitchell (known now to a select few as ‘the Julie Andrews of the group’), bass guitarist Noel Redding and the man with the guitar that whips the flesh as well as the soul. The Experience rolls along the motorways of the mind and the airways of the imagination. For the first two numbers their own amplification fought a ‘wattathon’ with the club’s PA system before Chas finally gave the group’s system best and let them loose on their own gear.
Each of the group has something to say through ‘Hey Joe’, ‘Burning Of The Midnight Lamp’, ‘Purple Haze’ and ‘The Wind Cries Mary,’ but Hendrix is the supreme conversationalist on the guitar.
Mitch attacks a hundred drums with a dozen hands and feet, while Noel pounds his bass through the electric storm on his right, raised by the Odin of the guitar. In between the squalstatic, the flailing and the wailing and the erotic gestures, the Black Prince mutters over the amplifiers and finally arrives at the song he calls ‘our national anthem’ - ‘Wild Thing’ - which wraps everything and everyone up
We have just been the victims of one of those all too rare appearances of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, who now average about $30,000 a concert in the U.S.
”What really knocked me out is that the boys offered to do this one for me free,” said Chas. “I’m going to give them the gate money anyway, but they asked me If they could open the club themselves.”

Now people
Peppers is a revolutionary new club for the “Now” generation in Majorca. Neatly situated off the Plaza Gomilla (lovingly renamed “the Plastic Gorrilla” by Noel) where most people meet in Terino in the evening. It has an air-conditioning plant second to none which provides a welcome relief from the still-hot Spanish nights, and a good beat group, “the Z-66,” with a vocalist who works himself into a grease-spot every night. There is a first-class light show, getting better every night, as the all-American Bob gets more machinery.
Chas spends much of his time charging about like an enraged water buffalo, correcting minor defects in staff and controls. He worries about the club and the club worries about Chas. It is worriers like Chas who will make Sgt Peppers into the little goldmine it undoubtedly is to be.
I arrived in Palma on Sunday with Noel (Jimi and Mitch did their famous plane-missing trick) and that evening we watched one of the most exciting bullfights I have ever seen, with the famous El Cordobes in brilliant form, being awarded both ears of the bull (the highest honour) by El Presidente.

Impersonation
That evening we ate in a Terino restaurant which was formerly a boutique owned by Chas. There Noel treated us to an impersonation of the yet-to-arrive Mitch.
Bouncing up the restaurant stairs and creating the maximum amount of noise he darted about on his toes, breezing: “Oh, sorry I’m late. What’s going on? Can I have some of that? I forgot my money. Can you pay for it?” Collapse of some few who know the ways of Mitch!
Monday saw the arrival of the other members of the group and walking down the street in glorious multi-colour they made an entrance into the Plaza Gomilla akin to the impact of the bad men riding into town in a Western epic. You could hear the hub-bub of comment around the packed square before you saw the big three.
Noel came over to our table to say hello to footballer George Best, with whom he became quite friendly, and Jimi stopped by to exchange insults with me, our way of passing the time! His favourite dart on this holiday was to refer to me as “the little ol’ electric lobster,” due to my over-enthusiastic crash course on a sun tan.
Briefly Jimi and I discussed his lack of personal appearances in Britain.
”We’re not deserting Britain or anything like that,” said Jimi. “We are hoping to do some big city concerts in October. We’d like to have someone like the Small Faces with us, but there’s probably problems over who would top or something silly. There’s an American group called the Spirit right now that I would like to have with us.”
Mitch made one clear point about why they must play America again soon.
”Because that’s where we are treated best,” he explained. “Look, our most recent album has cost us $70,000 to produce. We’ve got to get that money back before we can start showing a profit, and America is where you earn the big money. There is still that feeling in Britain when we play some places that they want to make money out of us and that’s all. They treat us like dirt – give us a thousand pounds and think they are doing us a favour!”

Having kittens
Meanwhile Chas is having kittens about the volume of sound coming from the club from Jimi’s rehearsal and keeps talking about “impending doom.” He need not have worried. The Guardia Civil were very civil about the whole thing.
George Best appeared mesmerised by the Experience’s performance on stage and the whole evening was an enormous success.
Tuesday saw a brief appearance of Hendrix and Co. on our beach at Lauro Verde. There, Jimi ventured into the sea for the first time in eight years. The spectacle of Mitch and Noel (they came up whiter than white!) was too much for most of the amateur home-movie exponents on the beach, who pointed whirring machines at them. Noel and Mitch obligingly gibbered about like sub-humans and danced up and down waving their arms. Jimi came out of the sea swearing his lungs had collapsed!
”You wouldn’t believe it but we’ve got Jimi insured for a million dollars,” said Chas. “And the doctor said he was the fittest man he had ever seen.” Chas broke off to address the frail figure of Redding in his bathing trunks. “We’ve got to get you insured too,” he said, “but I’m frightened to let you take the medical!”
The highlight of Wednesday’s activities was a visit to the go-kart track – the first time for Hendrix and Noel. Mitch duly informed me he was buying a formula one with gears to race it seriously! Jimi really took to the racing and was doing quite well, though he kept being driven off the track by an innocent young girl, ending up ignominiously among a heap of rubber tyres.
”I kept trying to play it fair and not bump any of the other cars off the track,” he told me later. He was still there an hour after Mitch, Noel and I left.
The pay-off to this experience was next day when I met Jimi with a lump out of his back and a badly grazed thigh. Apparently he was under the impression that he was back in the paratroopers and had tried an ejector-seat release from his go-kart, but the chute had not opened! We were all sorry we missed that one.
That night Jimi made an impromptu return to the club with Mitch and Noel and they let loose a never-to-be-forgotten rock-and-roll session, including numbers like ‘Lucille’ and ‘Johnny B. Good’. Jimi broke a string on his guitar but played better on five than most do on six.
His final remark about the visit to Majorca was to Chas: “I wish I had listened to you two years ago about this place!” It was a highly enjoyable working holiday and Majorca is likely to being seeing more of Hendrix at Sergeant Peppers.
“Tuesday saw a brief appearance of Hendrix and Co. on our beach at Lauro Verde. There, Jimi ventured into the sea for the first time in eight years. The spectacle of Mitch and Noel (they came up whiter than white!) was too much for most of the amateur home movie exponents on the beach, who pointed whirring machines at them. Noel and Mitch obligingly gibbered about like subhumans and danced up and down waving their arms. Jimi came out of the sea swearing his lungs had collapsed! ‘You wouldn’t believe it but we’ve got Jimi insured for a million dollars,’ said Chas. ‘And the doctor said he was the fittest man he had ever seen.’ Chas broke off to address the frail figure of Redding in his bathing trunks. ‘We’ve got to get you insured too,’ he said, ‘but I’m frightened to let you take the medical!”
“The highlight of Wednesday’s activities was a visit to the go-kart track - the first time for Hendrix and Noel. Mitch duly informed me he was buying a formula one with gears to race it seriously! Jimi really took to the racing and was doing quite well, though he kept being driven off the track by an innocent young girl, ending up ignominiously among a heap of rubber tyres. ‘I kept trying to play it fair and not bump any of the other cars off the track,’ he told me later. He was still there an hour after Mitch, Noel and I left. The pay-off to this experience was next day when I met Jimi with a lump out of his back and a badly grazed thigh. Apparently he was under the impression that he was back in the para-troopers and had tried an ejector-seat release from his go-kart, but the chute had not opened! We were all sorry we missed that one”

Dernière édition par Purple Jim le Ven 29 Juil 2011 - 23:26, édité 1 fois
http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.htm
Yazid

Yazid

MessageSujet: Re: Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968    Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968  Icon_minitimeVen 29 Juil 2011 - 14:52

Message de Keith Altham : "When Jimi went to open Sgt Peppers club in Majorca in the mid Sixties I travelled with them and we hooked up with George Best and one morning kicked a ball around on the beach with The Experience, Chas Chandler and George - wish I had had a camera."

YM
upfromtheskies

upfromtheskies

MessageSujet: Re: Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968    Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968  Icon_minitimeVen 29 Juil 2011 - 21:41

Ah! George Best... Une autre époque...
https://www.youtube.com/user/gilouseb
upfromtheskies

upfromtheskies

MessageSujet: Re: Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968    Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968  Icon_minitimeSam 7 Fév 2015 - 15:51

Ce qui me surprend dans ce set, c'est la set-list: on est en juillet 68, et ils jouent les faces A des premiers 45 tours et le morceau de bravoure qu'ils jouaient déja à l'Olympia en octobre 66. Rien des morceaux propres aux 2 albums déja publiés et au 3ème sur le point de sortir.
https://www.youtube.com/user/gilouseb
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968    Palma de Majorque (St Pepper’s): 15 juillet 1968  Icon_minitime

Page 1 sur 1