Jimi Hendrix

AccueilCalendrierFAQRechercherMembresGroupesS'enregistrerConnexion

Partagez | 

Live At Woburn (2009)

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
Electric Thing

MessageSujet: Live At Woburn (2009)   Lun 19 Juil 2010 - 17:42

Dans l'attente d'une vraie chronique par un des membres du forum, voilà déja un paquet d'info...

The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At Woburn is the 11th release in the Dagger Records long running series of authorized 'bootleg' style recordings. This 7-song, previously unreleased live concert recording features the July 6, 1968 concert at the Woburn Music Festival in Bedfordshire, England.

Sortie le 28 juillet 2009

Le concert a manifestement été lesté par certains problèmes techniques... mais c'est une performance soundboard 100% inédite.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At Woburn is the eleventh release in the Dagger Records authorized ‘bootleg’ recording series. Live At Woburn presents a 100% previously unreleased concert recording capturing The Jimi Hendrix Experience in concert at the Woburn Music Festival on July 6, 1968.

The Woburn Music Festival was one of Britain’s first large scale, open-air rock music events. Staged by brothers Richard “Rik” and John Gunnell, who were well respected individuals in the burgeoning London music scene where they were heavily involved in many aspects including band managed, show promoters and club owners. Rik in particular, who owned three fashionable 1960’s London nightspots—the Ram Jam Club, Flamingo, and Bag O’ Nails—presented authentic, first generation American icons like John Lee Hooker and Otis Redding and some of the brightest examples of a swelling wave of emerging British talent such as The Rolling Stones, Jack Bruce and Georgie Fame.

Jimi’s co-managers Chas Chandler and Michael Jeffery—a fellow nightclub entrepreneur—enjoyed a friendship with Gunnell. Gunnell had been an early supporter of The Animals, and extended the same courtesy to Hendrix and The Experience, presenting some of the group’s earliest London engagements.

Jimi’s popularity had grown exponentially since those early days in 1966 and he arrived at the Woburn Festival as its eagerly anticipated headline act. This anticipation was fueled in part by Jimi’s absence from Britain. The Experience had spent much of 1968 touring and recording in America and had not performed live in Britain since December 1967.

Woburn Music Festival featured separate afternoon and evening sets for both Saturday and Sunday. While rhythm & blues was the primary focus with Gunnell drawing heavily from his own talent pool, casting John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, Alexis Korner, and Geno Washington together with the more folk influenced Pentangle, Roy Harper, and Tim Rose. The Jimi Hendrix Experience were scheduled to close the Saturday evening show where an enthusiastic crowd some 14,000 strong turned out for the performance.

Axis: Bold As Love was still a top selling album in July 1968 but Jimi had long since moved on to new challenges. To Hendrix, performances such as Woburn were unique, shared experiences and not simply personal appearances intended to help shift units of albums or singles. At Woburn, Jimi skipped songs from Axis: Bold As Love altogether, electing instead to ‘jam’ as he called it—kicking off his set with a spirited “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” [regrettably missed in part by the late start of the recording machine].

The trio followed “Sgt. Pepper” with “Fire,” and despite beset with buzzing, crackles and otherwise unwanted noises throughout their set, The Experience continued to persevere doing their best to surmount the technical problems that hampered an otherwise animated set.

Jimi may have bypassed Axis: Bold As Love, but he did foreshadow his next album at Woburn, stretching out a marvelous “Tax Free,” a contender for Electric Ladyland and a favorite Experience vehicle for improvisation. Hendrix followed up with an extended improvisational rendition of “Red House” before diving into “Foxey Lady.” He also offered his Woburn audience what he called, ‘…a song that we recorded for our new LP. It’s nothing but a hard rock—it’s called “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)”.

Equipment problems were always an irritant for Jimi and Woburn was no exception. He prefaced “Purple Haze,” the group’s final song, with an apology. “We’re very sorry that we have to play through broken amplifiers,” he explained. “Like I said before, it’s really a hang up. It’s very hard to get our own sound across so we would like to end it and say thank you very much for showing up. We would like to do this last song “Purple Haze.” Jimi kicked off a boisterous feedback opening, buttressed by Mitchell and Redding and complete with tremolo bar swoops, wah-wah pedal shadings and soaring dive bomb styled bursts that transitioned seamlessly into the song’s unmistakable opening notes. At its conclusion, the audience roared with approval. While no microphones were positioned to fully capture the intensity of their reaction, their enthusiasm and calls for more can be easily heard through Jimi and Noel’s stage microphones.

The Experience’s performance at Woburn Music Festival would mark the trio’s last performance in England until the two celebrated concerts in February 1969 at the Royal Albert Hall.

Technical Note:
Like many of the live releases issued as part of the Dagger Records series, The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At Woburn was not professionally recorded using multi-track technology. It was instead drawn from a recording made from the stage soundboard.

As a result, the recording is not without its share of flaws and technical limitations. The recording is raw and occasionally overdriven but it effectively presents all of the voices and instruments onstage. In addition to the aforementioned late start on “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,” the ending of “Tax Free” was lost when the tape ran out. Fortunately, the tape spool was rethreaded and recording resumed for the start of “Red House”. It is entirely possible that another song was performed and not recorded but there is no firm evidence to definitively confirm this either way.

As noted, the buzzing, crackling and static not otherwise emanating from Jimi and Noel’s battered amplifiers are part of this historical document. Its flaws notwithstanding, this recording represents the only known documentation of this significant performance. The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At Woburn, despite its technical imperfections, supplies yet another fascinating piece to the Hendrix puzzle. Enjoy!

http://www.daggerrecords.com/disc11.html

Dernière édition par Electric Thing le Dim 25 Juil 2010 - 18:20, édité 1 fois
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Electric Thing

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Lun 19 Juil 2010 - 17:44

Dagger Records, the official ‘bootleg’ label, has announced the July 28, 2009 release of Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At Woburn. Live At Woburn gives the Hendrix connoisseur a searing chronicle of the band’s original line-up – Jimi Hendrix, Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell – live and in concert at one of the UK’s first open-air rock festivals. This, the 11th Dagger Records release will be available only on-line at the Hendrix website.

The Woburn Pop Festival was held on July 6, 1968 on the grounds of the Duke of Bedfordshire’s Woburn Abbey estate. More than 14,000 music fans turned out to see The Experience headline a bill that included John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, Alexis Korner, T Rex, and many others. Doing double duty by constantly appearing on the road in the USA while also laying down the tracks that Hendrix would pull together to form his masterwork, Electric Ladyland, the Woburn Festival was The Experience's first UK gig in more than seven months.

Beginning with DJ Emperor Rosko's of BBC Radio One's introduction, the band's set offered a glimpse of Electric Ladyland's power and depth with the first live performance of “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)” , the signature song that Hendrix would eventually use to close nearly all of his performances. The set also includes a ten-minute rendition of “Tax Free,” a personal favorite of Jimi's, written by the Swedish songwriting duo, Hansson & Karlsson who taught him the tune when he was touring in their home country. The Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”, an eleven and a half minute version of “Red House”, “Foxey Lady,” “Fire” and “Purple Haze” round out the band's blistering set list. Jimi's performance at this early version of the type of 'festival' concert that would come to define the sixties, also proved to be an exhibition of his decision to let his 'freak flag fly' with more open-ended, jam-oriented displays than had been typical of earlier, more structured gigs. Jimi had every intention of staying on the bleeding edge of the eclectic sixties music scene and the dynamic, experimental offerings at Woburn simply confirm the truth of that proposition.

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At Woburn was produced by Janie Hendrix, John McDermott and Eddie Kramer and features a special essay and never before published photos of the concert. The album was mastered by

George Marino at Sterling-Sound. It represents, the latest entry in the Experience Hendrix's acclaimed series created to service the continued interest in newly discovered recordings by the legendary guitarist. The audio source for Live At Woburn was drawn from the stage soundboard and is in keeping with Dagger’s policy of releasing historically significant Hendrix recordings that are properly annotated and offer reasonable sonic quality, such as the recent Paris ‘67/San Francisco ’68 releases.

Janie Hendrix, CEO of Experience Hendrix, LLC, co-producer of Live At Woburn explains, "with my father's enthusiastic blessing, Dagger Records was devised as an avenue to fulfill the request of all the 'Jim worshipers' out there for material that may not meet the highest sound quality standards but more than satisfies their need for an even deeper insight into Jimi's creative process. We think Live At Woburn is a perfect addition to the Dagger catalog and we are confident that fans will agree."

Source : http://www.musicnewsnet.com/2009/06/-jimi-hendrix-experience-live-at-woburn-gets-july-release.html
Electric Thing

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Lun 19 Juil 2010 - 17:49

Citation :
Ayler a dit : Après quelques écoutes... Je suis un peu étonné que vous trouviez le son aussi bon. Le soundboard présente bien sûr l'avantage de ne rien écarter, mais je trouve néanmoins que :
- la saturation présente sur "Tax Free" ou "Red House" nuit à la musicalité des morceaux ;
- la guitare de Jimi Hendrix est un peu trop en retrait dans le mixage.

Dans l'absolu, je trouve que certains pirates audience, bien que présentant une qualité audio inférieure, s'avèrent plus musicaux. Je reconnais qu'ils ne sont malheureusement pas légion...

Jimi rencontre de très sérieux problèmes d'amplification à Woburn... rendant paradoxalement la version de "Fire" unique : il est obligé de meubler de façon inhabituelle afin d'éviter que les crissements ne prennent trop de place, et s'en sort remarquablement bien, la version constituant l'un des moments forts du CD.

Le setlist est-elle complète ? Difficile de se prononcer. Si c'est le cas, elle présente un équilibre un peu déroutant, sans être choquant pour autant. Ce qui est certain, c'est que l'Experience est à ce stade plus proche du Winterland que de Monterey : la part de jam dans les concerts de l'Experience a augmenté significativement, alors que la dimension visuelle semble - pour ce qu'on en devine - moins importante.

A ce stade, je dirais que sans figurer parmi les meilleurs albums produits par Dagger (musicalement, ce n'est pas le "Live At The Oakland Coliseum"), le "Live At Woburn" reste une excellente découverte dans la mesure où le label joue ici pleinement son rôle : proposer des pirates officiels intéressants. Difficile en l'espèce de trouver mieux qu'un enregistrement soundboard inédit d'un concert dont aucun enregistrement ne circulait...
Electric Thing

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Lun 19 Juil 2010 - 17:52

Citation :
Ayler a dit : Suite à quelques échanges entre membres de Cross Town que je trouvais étonnants, j'ai demandé des éclaircissements... que je n'ai pas eu !

Néanmoins, selon une source sûre, John McDermott a confié qu’[s]Experience Hendrix n’avait pas acheté la copie de Caesar Glebbeek[/s] vendues aux enchères l’an dernier et qu’ils n’avaient pas accès à ces bandes – sans préciser comment ils avaient obtenu leur copie. Il ressort touttefois des déclarations de McDermott qu'Experience Hendrix ne possédent en fait qu’une copie numérique du concert, expliquant les problèmes à 0:39 sur "Fire" et à 4:41 sur "Tax Free", qui sont a priori absents de la bande analogue originale...
Electric Thing

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Lun 19 Juil 2010 - 17:53

Purple Jim

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Sam 22 Jan 2011 - 18:09

MELODY MAKER - London interview] by Alan Walsh:

‘The electrified hair has been shortened somewhat, but it was unmistakeably still Jimi Hendrix. He loped into his manager’s Gerrard Street office, grinned slyly, shook hands all round, fastened onto the latest copy of MM, accepted a stick of chewing gum and settled comfortably into an office armchair. Magical Jimi, purveyor of excitement and mind-expanding music was back in town....
Hendrix flew back to Britain from the States especially for the MM’s ‘Woburn Festival of Music’ –
Jimi: “It was really only a jam, we hadn’t played for so long.”
- and was also due to visit Majorca –
Jimi: “It’d better be a gig or I’m not going.”
- but we managed to pin him down long enough to catch up with the world of the man of Experience....It’s source of discontent among certain Experience fans that the group spend so much time these days in America. But Jimi doesn’t agree –
Jimi: ”I’m American, I want people there to see me. I also wanted to see whether we could make it back in the States. I dig Britain, but I haven’t really got a home anywhere. The Earth’s my home; I’ve never had a house here. I don’t want to put down roots in case I get restless and want to move on... The other reason for working in the States is that we make 20 times more money there. And there’s no harm in that... We have to eat like everyone else. America is so large, too; when you work regularly in Britain, you end up going back to the same places. That doesn’t happen in America... I want to be known everywhere.”
[the next LP - a double album – and it’s single will be finished within the next two weeks]
[Why has there been such a delay between albums?]
“They felt we were in danger of becoming too pop-orientated. People were starting to take us for granted, abuse us. It was that what-cornflakes-for-breakfast scene. … I was tired of the attitude of the fans that they’ve bought you a house and a car and now expect you to work the way they want you to for the rest of your life. But we couldn’t just say, ‘Screw them, ‘ because they have their rights, too, so we decided the best way was to cool the recording scene until we were ready with something that we wanted everyone to hear. All the tracks are very personal … they’re us. That’s why we want to get them out as soon as possible, because it’s how we are … now! I want them to be heard before we change .
“He expressed regret at the news that the Cream had decided to break up at the end of the year. But he expressed no fears about his own group doing the same –
“We were lucky. When we started, we were thrown together, but we managed to create a personal scene, as well as a musical appreciation. But if someone did leave, there’d be no hang-ups, it would be amicable, because it’s like a family. If Noel and Mitch quit I’d wish him well because it’d be like a brother going on to better things. I’d be pleased for him. The only hard feelings would be in the minds of the selfish fans.
“I’d like to see Mitch and Noel getting into the things that make them happy. Noel is on the English pop and hard rock scene and is writing some good songs these days. Mitch is becoming a little monster on the drums. He’s involved in his Elvin Jones thing. He’s the one I’d worry about losing. He’s becoming so heavy behind me that he frightens me!”
“I just want to do what I’m doing without getting involved in racial or political matters. I know I’m lucky that I can do that … lot’s of people can’t.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.guide/hendrix.htm
sequelenoise

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Jeu 24 Fév 2011 - 10:54

posté sur CTT un lien vers un film non répertorié d'un peu plus d'une minute et sans son.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2d694oDeio
jmarshallh

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Ven 25 Fév 2011 - 1:50

a mon avis le gars a reperé que son lien avait été diffusé ...
quelqu'un a t il eu la bonne idée de la charger ?
moi j'ai zappé complet, dommage !
il ne reste plus que ca sur le gars en question:
http://www.youtube.com/user/morelmusic
(les spots radios Us d'époque )
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://www.montpelliergo34.com
Tontonjimi

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Ven 25 Fév 2011 - 1:55

sequelenoise a écrit:
posté sur CTT un lien vers un film non répertorié d'un peu plus d'une minute et sans son.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2d694oDeio
ha bon!!!!??? What a Face
92. Samedi 6 Juillet 1968. Film 16 mm en noir et blanc (sonore!!!!) du concert donné lors du "Woburn Abbey Music Festival" d'une durée de 1 minute et 30 secondes. Un bref extrait est visible sur le DVD "Jimi Hendrix la légende".
(je sais Titi j'ai du boulot qui m'attend Rolling Eyes )
jmarshallh

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Dim 27 Fév 2011 - 14:33

sauf erreur de ma part, cette photo n'a jamais été postée...
(bon si ca pose des problèmes pour les droits d'auteurs... blah blah woof woof .... cf le suisse ... on l'enlèvera ... Smile )

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://www.montpelliergo34.com
Purple Jim

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Lun 28 Fév 2011 - 9:00

Nouveau lien pour le film 8mm :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ej1iVU2tKA
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.guide/hendrix.htm
Europa

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Lun 28 Fév 2011 - 10:40

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?4340-Woburn-68-8mm-footage

"it is not mpeg2. it's better! you can make it into whatever format you want from this file. it's completely uncompressed, it is film>DV. "
Electric Thing

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Lun 28 Fév 2011 - 14:27

Purple Jim a écrit:
Nouveau lien pour le film 8mm :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ej1iVU2tKA
Difficile de prendre son pied... l'image n'est pas très belle, la couleur pourrie, et sans le son c'est très frustrant. Vivement que quelqu'un nous fasse une synchronisation avec la bande son...

Europa a écrit:
http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?4340-Woburn-68-8mm-footage

"it is not mpeg2. it's better! you can make it into whatever format you want from this file. it's completely uncompressed, it is film>DV. "
C'est le film en entier ? Film du festival, et non forcement de la performance de Jimi (comme le court extrait sur Youtube) ?
Toujours sans le son ?

Dernière édition par Electric Thing le Lun 28 Fév 2011 - 14:30, édité 1 fois
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Live At Woburn (2009)   Aujourd'hui à 14:27

Live At Woburn (2009)
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1