Jimi Hendrix
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Jimi Hendrix

Le forum francophone

AccueilDernières imagesRechercherS'enregistrerConnexion
Le Deal du moment : -40%
Tefal Ingenio Emotion – Batterie de cuisine 10 ...
Voir le deal
59.99 €

Chas Chandler

5 participants
AuteurMessage
Titi

Titi

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeLun 12 Juil 2010 - 18:15

Chas Chandler :

Chas Chandler  Scan0013-1

Chas Chandler  Scan0014

Chas Chandler  Scan0015-1
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Titi

Titi

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeVen 18 Mai 2012 - 10:00

Guitar Player Magazine, Avril 1984

When you left The Animals in 1966 were you already planning on getting into the business end of music ?

Well, I didn't see any future in being a solo bass player. I'd seen Hendrix before the last Animals tour started and I knew what I was going to do when the final tour ended. When we finished the last show, I just flew right to New York, picked up Jimi Hendrix, went back to England and formed the Hendrix Experience.

Did you and Jimi find the musicians for the Experience ?

We checked out a lot of guys. As it happened, Noel Redding came up to the office looking for a gig as a lead guitar player with the New Animals. I said, "well that place is filled. You fancy playing bass?" He had the same haircut as Jimi, and it looked right, you know. So he borrowed my bass and did a little audition with Jimi, and that's how he came to be in the band. Then there was a toss-up between Aynsley Dunbar and Mitch Mitchell on drums. We couldn't make up our minds; we just flipped a coin on that. Mitch had been playing with Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames.

Linda Keith, who introduced you to Hendrix, has said that it took you a couple of visits before you decided to work with him.

Not at all. I met him that afternoon. We went and had a cup of coffee and planned it all out there and then. I was leaving the following day to go out on tour, my last Animals tour. And I arranged to come back to New York immediately and pick Jimi up and get things underway. That's exactly what I did.

Was he just playing blues then, or did his music incorporate any of his electronic effects ?

Well, he was a monster guitar player. The weird thing was, I was going out with a girl in New York at the time, and the night before I saw Jimi, she had played me this record called "Hey Joe" by Tim Rose. It'd been out for eight months or so and had never been a hit. I said, "Wow, I'm gonna find an act and record that song in England. That's going to be a hit." When I saw Jimi Hendrix at the Cafe Wha? in Greenwich Village, the first song he played was "Hey Joe."

Was it hard producing him ?

I had a lot of trouble with him on his singing, because he didn't think he could sing at all. We used to have big head-to-heads about how far forward his voice should be on records.

Was Hendrix' first album, Are You Experienced? engineered by Eddie Kramer ?

No, no. He had nothing to do with it. We did it in about six different studios, anywhere we could get in with cheap time. We didn't meet Eddie Kramer until the second album, Axis: Bold As Love. Even then, Eddie wasn't the contributing factor. Eddie was the engineer, but the tape operator was a guy called George Chikantz. He was a real whiz kid. He kept coming up with different ideas for sounds, not Eddie. George came up with most of the ideas for the actual electronic things-the automatic double-tracking and phasing.

How much of the electronic guitar sounds on record were a result of Hendrix' innovations as opposed to your own ideas or George Chikantz ?

Well, we used to go to the studio and just switch on the machines, practically. We spent a lot of time in rehearsal. Jimi and I shared a flat, with Jimi's girlfriend and my wife. We just spent 24 hours a day concentrating on the music. He would come up with songs, and we'd sit and discuss the changes, and then get down at rehearsal and try it three or four different ways with the band. It was music 24 hours a day for two years-totally blinkered. We didn't look up.

Where did Hendrix 'psychedelic side', as evidenced by some of his lyrics, come from ?

I got him involved with science fiction books. I've always been a science fiction freak. When he moved to England [in late 1966], he started reading these books, and "Stone Free" was one of the first songs he ever wrote. That was the B side of "Hey Joe," and then he wrote "Purple Haze", and we went in and were determined to make it a sound effect thing. It was a progression. And by the time we sat down to complete the first album with a couple of singles and odd songs in the can his style had evolved to the point of things like "Third Stone From The Sun".

Do you think he was influenced much by the life-style in London as opposed to America ?

I would think so, yeah. It.was entirely a different life-style than what he was used to. He was hanging out with people who thought he was the tops. That sort of respect helps to make an artist blossom.

Did he hang out with many of the English guitar players ?

Oh yeah. Clapton was always around the house. He and Clapton were great friends.

Why did you and Jimi part company after only two years ?

When we started work on Electric Ladyland, things had changed somewhat. Here the guy was a big star; he didn't want to listen anymore. I felt that the first two albums had been done relatively quickly. We started working on Electric Ladyland, and he would turn up at the studio with 20 or 30 hangers-on and start playing for them, you know. He was showing off a bit to them, instead of getting on with work. We'd spent about ten days in the studio, recording songs that I thought we'd gotten on the first takes. I just sat there and thought, "This is ridiculous. There are things I want to do, things I want to see." My wife was expecting a baby; I didn't like the crowd Jimi was hanging out with; he was getting into acid a lot. He wasn't listening to a word that was said by the producer, so I just said bye-bye. Because there's a big wide world out there, and I know enough about the business. I'll do it with somebody else.

After you and Hendrix split, did you stay in touch at all ?

Yeah. About seven months after we parted, he came 'round the house and asked me to manage him again, but I told him I wouldn't work with Mike Jeffries, so we forgot about it. Then two days before he died, he came to the house in London and asked me to produce him again. This time we agreed to do it. I was going up to the northeast of England to see my family, and he was going to go to New York and bring back all the tapes he'd been working on since I'd split with him. When I got off the train to see my family, my father was waiting for me and told me Jimi was dead.

When you met with him, was he in good shape, physically and mentally ?

He seemed very together, very happy that we were going to work together again. He came by ostensibly to see my oldest son, because he'd been born after Jimi and I parted company. We had a really good night-like old times again. He was going to go back and get the tapes, and we were going to start work again on the following Tuesday.

How soon after your split with Hendrix did you start producing Slade ?

About five months. I went back to England and found Slade and signed them up. And it took me two years to get a hit. After that they had 23 hit singles in England .

Why do you think the Slade phenomenon never translated into American sales ?

I think it had a lot to do with what was happening in America-Nixon, Watergate, Vietnam. And the secret to Slade onstage and on record was a sense of humor-a take off on heavy metal and all the rest of it. That was the underlying thing that made Slade a hit in so many countries, in 15 different languages-Germany, France, Holland, Switzerland, Japan. But I think America at that time had lost its sense of humor. Now, of course, you've got Quiet Riot with a Slade record in the Top 10, "Cum On Feel The Noize."That was #1 in England for Slade in 1972. That year I started Barn Records, which I owned 100% until I sold it in '82.

Why did you sell the label ?

Time of life, I suppose. I just wanted a complete break. I'd become an administrator, had five studios operating. But I wasn't doing any music myself. So I sold everything and was going to drop out for a couple of years and try writing a book, because that's always been my other passion in life, reading. I read about five books a week. So I bought meself a computer with a good word processor, and started doing that. I enjoyed it immensely. Then this Animals thing came along, so after much soul searching I shelved it. I thought, "Well, I can write a book next year, but I can't go on tour with the Animals," But I intend to get back to writing.

If you came across another great undiscovered talent, would you be tempted to try your hand again at producing ?

I'd love to do it again. You've just got to see somebody that really knocks you dead. I can't work with somebody that I don't think is a blinder. We have a young guitarist on tour with us named Steve Grant, who I think is the best musician I've seen since Hendrix. He's a blinding keyboard and synth player as well. He's signed to me, and we're going to do an album when we get back to England.

Of all the things you've done in the music business, which would you say has been the most rewarding ?

I think overall I enjoyed my time with Slade the most. They were very young lads when I met up with them. I'd been in a successful band myself; I'd produced and managed a successful artist and saw him die. I had a lot of knowledge of the business, and I laid down a lot of ground rules that they went along with. They were successful because they kept their heads together very well; they were tremendously professional; and they applied themselves and worked extremely hard. Working with them was the most enjoyable experience of all the things I've done.

Ayler
Admin
Ayler

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeVen 18 Mai 2012 - 11:33

Titi a écrit:

No, no. He had nothing to do with it. We did it in about six different studios, anywhere we could get in with cheap time. We didn't meet Eddie Kramer until the second album, Axis: Bold As Love. Even then, Eddie wasn't the contributing factor. Eddie was the engineer, but the tape operator was a guy called George Chikantz. He was a real whiz kid. He kept coming up with different ideas for sounds, not Eddie. George came up with most of the ideas for the actual electronic things-the automatic double-tracking and phasing.
Ce n'est pas exactement ce que Kramer raconte de nos jours !
upfromtheskies

upfromtheskies

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeVen 18 Mai 2012 - 14:16

Titi a écrit:
Working with them (Slade) was the most enjoyable experience of all the things I've done.

Gasp...
https://www.youtube.com/user/gilouseb
Purple Jim

Purple Jim

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeVen 18 Mai 2012 - 14:30

La tournée de l'été 66 par The Animals :
http://www.chickenonaunicycle.com/Eric%20Burdon%20-%20Appendix%202.htm

Cette page dit que Chas avait découvert Jimi en août mais si on croit Chas, ça remonte à juin (avant la tournée US).
http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.htm
Titi

Titi

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeVen 18 Mai 2012 - 16:16

Ayler a écrit:
Titi a écrit:

Ce n'est pas exactement ce que Kramer raconte de nos jours !

Quels étaient les rapports entre Chas et Kramer ? Est ce Chandler qui minimise l'apport de ce dernier ?
Ayler
Admin
Ayler

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeVen 18 Mai 2012 - 20:51

Leurs rapports n'étaient pas top, et se sont sans doute dégradés en 1968. Quant à l'apport exact de Kramer sur les deux premiers albums de Jimi, il est difficile de se prononcer avec certitude...
Purple Jim

Purple Jim

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeVen 18 Mai 2012 - 21:14

Dans le livre "Not Necessarily Stones But Beautiful - The Making Of Are You Experienced", on comprend que Kramer jouait un rôle essentiel avec Jimi, dès le départ.
Extrait:
Chkiantz - "Il était capable d'interpréter ce qui se passait et de le mettre sur la bande. Ce n'est n'est pas à la portée de tout le monde."
Le livre est plein d'illustrations de ce genre.
Ayler
Admin
Ayler

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeSam 19 Mai 2012 - 1:00

C'est aussi ce que laissent penser les livres de McDermott - mais ils sont coécrits par Kramer.
Je ne nie nullement l'importance de ce dernier car Hendrix est le premier à vanter ses mérites pour Electric Ladyland. Cela dit, lors des entretiens menés pour mon livre avec les différents ingénieurs du son qui ont côtoyé Kramer, l'idée qu'Eddie aimait bien tirer la couverture à lui seul semblait assez répandue. Pour autant, ses paires les plus critiques reconnaissaient que c'était un type extrêmement talentueux.
Titi

Titi

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeSam 19 Mai 2012 - 10:12

Je ne me rappelle plus, mais tu avais tenté de joindre Kramer pour ton livre ?

Dernière édition par Titi le Sam 19 Mai 2012 - 16:10, édité 1 fois
Ayler
Admin
Ayler

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeSam 19 Mai 2012 - 15:39

Non : en pleine promo de Valleys, il avait d'autres chats à fouetter je pense !
Purple Jim

Purple Jim

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeSam 19 Mai 2012 - 16:36

Et pour la deuxième édition ??? Hein ??? Very Happy
sequelenoise

sequelenoise

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeSam 19 Mai 2012 - 19:22

Kramer ou pas Kramer ?

Le groupe ne rencontre pas Kramer avant de commencer les sessions aux studios Olympic le 3 février. Après, rien ne garantit sa présence durant les enregistrements suivants. On peut toutefois penser qu'il a participé au mixage de la plupart des titres.

Pour y voir plus clair, reprenons les titres du premier album et les singles.

face A
1. "Foxy Lady"
basic track enregistré avant le 3 février, mais comme tout a été overdubé à Olympic, Kramer a pu participer
2. "Manic Depression"
enregistré sans Kramer à DeLane Lea, Kramer a pu participer au mixage
3. "Red House"
basic track enregistré avant le 3 février (version européenne). Les bandes originales sembles perdues, probable que Kramer n'ait même pas participé au mixage.
4. "Can You See Me"
basic track enregistré avant le 3 février, Kramer a pu participer à une partie des overdubs et au mixage
5. "Love or Confusion"
basic track enregistré avant le 3 février,
6. "I Don't Live Today"
enregistré sans Kramer à DeLane Lea, Kramer a pu participer à un overdub de voix et au mixage

face B
1. "May This Be Love"
McDermott indique que la voix de Kramer est présente sur les bandes de la session, ce dernier y a donc probablement participé
2. "Fire"
basic track enregistré avant le 3 février, mais comme tout a été overdubé à Olympic, Kramer a pu participer
3. "3rd Stone from the Sun"
basic track enregistré avant le 3 février, mais Kramer a pu participer au nombreux overdubs et au mixage
4. "Remember"
5. "Are You Experienced?"
Kramer décrit précisément la session et le processus d'enregistrement, il y a très probablement participé

titres sortis en single
1. "Hey Joe"
le single est sorti avant le 3 février, donc pas de Kramer
2. "Stone Free"
le single est sorti avant le 3 février, donc pas de Kramer
3. "Purple Haze"
basic track enregistré avant le 3 février, mais la participation de Kramer aux overdubs et au mixage est plausible
4. "51st Anniversary"
basic track enregistré avant le 3 février. Les bandes originales sembles perdues, probable que Kramer n'ait même pas participé au mixage
5. "The Wind Cries Mary"
basic track enregistré avant le 3 février, Kramer peu plausible
6. "Highway Chile"
enregistré durant la même session que "May This Be Love" et "Are You Experienced?", donc participation probable de Kramer

En conclusion, il est correct de dire que Kramer était assez peu dans le studio durant l'enregistrement des prises de base des titres du 1er album. Il est plus difficile de se prononcer quant aux overdubs. Pour le mixage, on peut penser qu'il y a participé en grande partie, ne serait-ce qu'en fin de parcours.
Titi

Titi

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeSam 19 Mai 2012 - 19:45

Merci pour ce topo !
upfromtheskies

upfromtheskies

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitimeSam 19 Mai 2012 - 23:41

Super, Sequelnoise!
https://www.youtube.com/user/gilouseb
Contenu sponsorisé

Chas Chandler  Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Chas Chandler    Chas Chandler  Icon_minitime

Chas Chandler
Page 1 sur 1