Jimi Hendrix
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Jimi Hendrix

Le forum francophone

AccueilDernières imagesRechercherS'enregistrerConnexion
-50%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Trottinette électrique OCEAN DRIVE A9 avec clignotants
299.99 € 599.99 €
Voir le deal

John McLaughlin

+4
jmarshallh
upfromtheskies
Electric Thing
Ayler
8 participants
AuteurMessage
Ayler
Admin
Ayler

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeVen 22 Oct 2010 - 8:35

John McLaughlin :

An anecdote about Jimi: One day I was with Miles at his house and I was telling him about Jimi and what he'd done with the electric guitar. Miles had never seen Jimi play so I looked in the Village Voice and found out that the Monterey Pop Festival movie was playing in the Village. So, I took Miles down to see the movie. It was great to see Miles watch Jimi, especially when he burns his guitar. All Miles could say was, "Damn, damn..."

Source : http://www.jambase.com/Articles/Story.aspx?storyID=24678
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Ayler
Admin
Ayler

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeMar 9 Nov 2010 - 23:59

For his part, McLaughlin grew up listening to many of the same blues greats as other young English guitarists in the fifties and early sixties: Leadbelly, Big Bill Broonzy, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Mississippi Fred McDowell. He was bowled over by jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt, but otherwise his main influences were “horns or piano, and not guitar,” he says on the phone from New York. “In fact, the next time I was influenced by a guitar player was Jimi Hendrix, in the later sixties.”

Hendrix inspired him “not in a musical way, but in a tonal way,” he adds. Back then, McLaughlin, like many guitarists in swinging London, had been experimenting with amplifiers and effect pedals in order to broaden the electric guitar’s sonic palette. “This cool jazz guitar sound — it’s fine, but it’s not for me,” he says of the old-school guitar tone. Instead, he focused on what he describes as “research into feedback and tube distortion,” which led to the modern guitar tone. “Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix, they nailed it in terms of this kind of iconic sound of electric guitar,” he says.

“Jimi and the kind of harmonic distortion that he exemplified was, in a way, analogous to what [John] Coltrane was doing with his tenor sax,” he adds. “Not that Jimi played, musically, anything like Coltrane, but there was something in the tone that I really enjoyed from both of them.”

Source : http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/music/hes-the-one-john-mclaughlins-inspiration/article1791826/
Electric Thing

Electric Thing

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeMer 10 Nov 2010 - 0:14

"the next time" ?
La prochaine fois ?

Mais ça ne colle pas avec le temps...

La dernière fois ?
Ayler
Admin
Ayler

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeMer 10 Nov 2010 - 11:58

"La fois suivante où j'ai été influencé par un guitariste..."
Electric Thing

Electric Thing

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeMer 10 Nov 2010 - 12:02

Ah ben oui ! Laughing
Ayler
Admin
Ayler

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeSam 13 Nov 2010 - 8:59

I read that you once jammed with Jimi Hendrix. What was that like? Was it difficult to find a middle ground between your playing styles?

John McLaughlin: It would be sometime in 1969 and I was playing with Tony Williams at the Village Vanguard in New York. Jimi was in town with the Experience and playing drums with him was an old friend of mine from Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames, Mitch Mitchell. Mitch was crazy about Tony -- we all were -- and after the gig Larry Young and I went with him to the Electric Ladyland studios. There was a jam happening with Jimi and we joined in. Jimi was a revolutionary with the electric guitar, and a very gracious person. He changed the electric guitar forever.

Source : http://blog.washingtonpost.com/clicktrack/2010/11/be_specific_john_mclaughlin.html
upfromtheskies

upfromtheskies

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeJeu 6 Jan 2011 - 18:12

Bonsoir

Grand musicien, McLoughlin, mais il ne connait visiblement pas la suite d'accords de Voodoo Chile...
Et Birelli Lagrene (ex-Cream!) non plus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGjoXCkgkhk
https://www.youtube.com/user/gilouseb
Ayler
Admin
Ayler

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeJeu 6 Jan 2011 - 21:38

Welcome!
jmarshallh

jmarshallh

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeVen 7 Jan 2011 - 2:39

upfromtheskies a écrit:
Grand musicien, McLoughlin, mais il ne connait visiblement pas la suite d'accords de Voodoo Chile...
Et Birelli Lagrene (ex-Cream!) non plus!

heureusement ils connaissent plein d'autres trucs ...

sinon, marrant le mélange des lyrics de Keziah Jones : Voodoo Child SR mixé avec Voodoo Chile ....

bienvenue à toi !!

Smile
http://www.montpelliergo34.com
Purple Jim

Purple Jim

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeVen 7 Jan 2011 - 19:48

Très cool Monsieur Keziah Jones.
http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.htm
upfromtheskies

upfromtheskies

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeLun 27 Oct 2014 - 18:22

Je le mets aussi ici, c'est trop bien!

R&F n° 79 d'Aout 73:

"Boogie-Woogie" de Patrick Blanc-Francard: Revue de la presse étrangère.

Interview de John McLaughlin:

John McLaughlin Rf_79-10
https://www.youtube.com/user/gilouseb
Europa

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeVen 28 Avr 2017 - 12:03

Belle hommage de John au musicien et à l'homme aussi.

A partir de 13:44 ...
Vidéo plus longue sur le site www.chrissjuicebar.com (encore un peu plus sur Jimi).
Enjoy !
robertoblake

robertoblake

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeVen 28 Avr 2017 - 13:24

John Mac Laughlin, toujours très classe !
GypsyBlood

GypsyBlood

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeVen 28 Avr 2017 - 13:41

Super témoignage !!!
Ayler
Admin
Ayler

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitimeJeu 4 Mai 2017 - 10:36

John McLaughlin à propos de Jimi :

Speaking of loud, you became friends with Jimi Hendrix in the ’60s.
Jimi was loud. I love Jimi, and what Jimi did for the guitar. I got to know him through [drummer] Mitch Mitchell, who was in the Experience. Before that, Mitch and I were in Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames, but not at the same time. I left to make a band with Ginger Baker [on drums], Jack Bruce [on bass] and Graham Bond [on vocals, keyboards and saxophone]: the Graham Bond Organisation.

Can you talk about the jam session you had with Jimi?
When I started playing with Tony Williams [Williams’s band, Lifetime] in early 1969, he [Hendrix] would come to see us play every time he was in New York. He was one of Tony’s greatest admirers. One night after a gig at the Village Vanguard, Tony invited me to a jam with him and Jimi at the Electric Ladyland studio around the corner from the Vanguard. That’s where I met Buddy Miles, with whom I subsequently recorded. It was a major jam session/party.

I’d brought my guitar, but since it was a big acoustic guitar, I had problems of feedback because the volume of the music was overpowering. Jimi was a very gracious man. Humble and no pretensions. We never did play together again, but I attended his gig at Madison Square Garden in ’69 or ’70. What he got out of our meeting will remain a mystery to me, but even before I met Jimi he had a lasting influence on my playing.

What was it about Jimi’s technique that was so inspiring?
He was doing things with the guitar, with distortion, that equated with what Trane [John Coltrane] was doing with the saxophone. It was so intense, the way Jimi played. He didn’t have all these pedals that we have today. Just listen to what he did with “The Star-Spangled Banner” [recorded live at Woodstock in 1969]. It’s unreal. It’s a masterpiece.

Source : http://www.newsweek.com/guitarist-john-mclaughlin-talks-miles-davis-jimi-hendrix-yoga-593284

Contenu sponsorisé

John McLaughlin Empty
MessageSujet: Re: John McLaughlin   John McLaughlin Icon_minitime

John McLaughlin
Page 1 sur 1